- Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Racing & Wagering
- Derby Experience
- Plan Your Visit
Prep Race HistoryDownload Past Performances
|Apr 3 2010||Illinois Derby Hawthorne||III||1 1/8 Mile||1||N/A|
|Mar 13 2010||San Felipe Santa Anita Park||1 1/16 Mile||4||N/A|
|Feb 13 2010||Robert B. Lewis Santa Anita Park||II||1 1/16 Mile||3||N/A|
|Nov 21 2009||Hollywood Prevue Hollywood Park||III||7F||1||REPLAY|
He made his first appearance in the Run for the Roses in 2008 with Colonel John finishing sixth. One of his most notable wins to date was training WinStar Farm’s Well Armed to a record breaking 14-length victory in the Dubai World Cup in 2009. Harty is a fifth generation horseman and was Bob Baffert's top assistant for 14 years before taking out his trainer’s license in 2000 to go work for Godolphin. In 2001 he won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies with Tempera, who went on to win an Eclipse Award for Champion Two-Year-Old Filly.
WinStar Farm LLC.
In 2010, WinStar experienced its first victory in the Kentucky Derby with Super Saver. That same year Drosselmeyer, was the surprise winner of the Belmont Stakes and would go on to capture the Breeders Cup Classic in 2011. Their first Derby starter came in 2006 with a second place finish by Bluegrass Cat. In 2008 both Colonel John and Court Vision made a Run for the Roses, as did Mr. Hot Stuff in 2009. They were represented in 2009 as well with homebred Well Armed winning the $6 million Dubai World Cup, the world's richest race. Bill Casner (founded Excel Communications) and Kenny Troutt (developed B&R Equipment) partnered in early 2000 and bought the 1,450-acre Prestonwood Farm property near Versailles, Kentucky, and named it WinStar. Bill Casner stepped down from his role and Mr. Troutt now remains as the owner of WinStar LLC. WinStar Farm is a state-of-the-art farm, with features such as a hyperbaric oxygen chamber, a newly renovated stallion complex, a training barn, and a research lab. WinStar’s breeding operation includes top stallions Tiznow, Distorted Humor, and Speightstown. Elliott Walden, former trainer, serves as the racing manger for WinStar Farm, who employs a variety of different trainers across the United States including: Todd Pletcher, Eoin Harty, Shannon Ritter, Bill Mott, and Kellyn Gorder. The Troutt family resides in Dallas, Texas.
WinStar Farms LLC. and Dr. William Lockridge
Primary owners are Bill Casner and Kenny Troutt. The Troutt family resides in Dallas, Texas, while the Casner’s make their home in Flower Mound, Texas. Lockridge helped establish Ashford Stud in the 1970s, and in the 1980s Coolmore purchased the property and since turned it into one of the top stud farms. Troutt founded Excel Communications, a long-distance telephone service and communications service. Casner developed B&R Equipment, a heavy equipment service. In early 2000, the two partnered and bought the 1,450-acre Prestonwood Farm property near Versailles, Kentucky, and named it WinStar. First Kentucky Derby starter came in 2006 with a second place finish from Bluegrass Cat. In 2008 both Colonel John and Court Vision made a run for the Roses, as did Mr. Hot Stuff in 2009. Biggest win to date came in March 28, 2009 with homebred Well Armed taking the $6 million Dubai World Cup. WinStar Farm is one of the state-of-the-art operations, with features such as hyperbaric oxygen chamber, a newly renovated stallion complex, a training barn, and a research lab. WinStar’s breeding operation includes top stallions Tiznow, Distorted Humor, and Speightstown.
- American Lion is a son of Horse of the Year and dual Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1) king Tiznow
- Tiznow’s only non top-three finish came in his initial start in 2000, when he ran sixth
- The stallion raced exclusively in graded events once breaking his maiden
- Tiznow’s most successful offspring include Canadian champion mare and $1.1 million earner Bear Now, champion juvenile filly Folklore and Dubai World Cup (UAE-G1) hero Well Armed
- Tiznow’s progeny have won from five furlongs to 1 ½ miles, with an average winning distance of 7 ½ furlongs
- American Lion’s dam is the once-raced Storm Tide
- His second dam is Grade 1 winner City Band
- American Lion’s broodmare sire is Grade 1 winner Storm Cat
- Another Tiznow/Storm Cat daughter cross was responsible for Folklore
- Other daughters of Storm Cat have produced Grade 1 winners Sky Mesa, Buddha, Magnificent Song and Speightstown
- With both Tiznow and Storm Cat in his corner, American Lion should have no trouble getting the Derby distance of 1 ¼ miles
Powered by Brisnet