- Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Racing & Wagering
- Derby Experience
- Plan Your Visit
Prep Race HistoryDownload Past Performances
Richard Dutrow, Jr.
Dutrow, Jr was victorious in the 2008 Kentucky Derby with dominant runner Big Brown. Top runners in 2010 included: Court Vision, D’Funnybone, Acting Happy, and Kentucky Derby 137 contender Boys At Tosconova winner of the Grade I Hopeful Stakes and runner-up in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile.Richard got his start in the industry by going to his father’s barn, the late Dick Dutrow, as a young child along with his brothers Tony and Chip. At age 16, he worked for his father as an assistant trainer.His career began to flourish in 2000 when he trained stakes winner Stalwart Member for leading New York owner Sanford Goldfarb. Talented graded stakes winners Offlee Wild and Love of Money were victorious in the Massachusetts Handicap and Pennsylvania Derby respectively in 2004.In 2005, Richard won the Breeders’ Cup Classic with Saint Liam who later that year was named Horse of the Year.Richard has a stable of 100 horses and is primarily stabled in New York.Richard Dutrow was born on August 5, 1959 and resides in Oyster Bay, New York.
Dominguez was the 2010 & 2011 Eclipse Award winner for Outstanding Jockey. In 2011, his mounts earned an incredible $19,364,256, and in 2001 and 2003 he lead the nation in number of victories. Dominguez has two Breeders' Cup wins to his credit including the 2011 Breeders' Cup Juvenile aboard Hansen. He recently was chosen as the recipient for the prestigious George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award for his career achievements and personal character. Top Mounts for Dominguez have included: Havre de Grace, Hansen, Get Stormy, Gio Ponti and Stay Thirsty. He is seeking his first Kentucky Derby victory. At the age of 16, Ramon began riding horses in Venezuela despite his father’s disapproval who wanted him to be a doctor. His father convinced him to ride show jumpers for a short while, but Ramon went back to riding racehorses a year later. Although, his father was not happy with this initial decision, he became very supportive of Ramon, but insisted his son graduate high school before becoming a jockey. Ramon moved to the United States from his native Venezuela and began riding races at Hialeah Park in 1996. He won his first race in March 1996 aboard Solo Moondance. In 2001 and 2003, he led the nation in wins. In 2004 he was honored with the Isaac Murphy Award by the Turf Writers Association for having the highest winning percentage for the year. He was the leading rider at Delaware Park from 2004 through 2007. Ramon reached a milestone of 3,000 victories at Delaware Park on May 9, 2007. He was named the top jockey of the 2008-2009 Inner Track Meet at Aqueduct with 124 wins. Ramon Dominguez was born on November 24, 1976 and resides in Elkton, Maryland.
Lazzinnaro, Bulger, Mandato, Diamond Pride, Tabraue, Sallusto, Teel, and Borislow
Louis Lazzinnaro owns popular New York restaurants Sergio’s and Spolini.Lazzinnaro purchased Homeboykris after he broke his maiden at Calder Race Course from Brenda Tabraue, the original owner.Lazzinnaro grew up in the same neighborhood at Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel, who co-owned Vineyard Haven with Lazzinnaro.Nick Sallusto works as a bloodstock agent and is the one who discovered Homeboykris and helped Lazzinnaro purchase the horse.Sallusto has helped in the purchase of Benny the Bull and Stardom Bound for IEAH Stable. Daniel Borislow purchased a minority interest in the colt one week before the Kentucky Derby. Borislow is the inventor of magicJack.Diamond Pride is owned by L.A. Dodgers Manager Joe Torre. Torre has won the World Series four times.Barbara Tabraue purchased Homeboykris at the 2009 Ocala two-year-olds in training sale for $11,000.Robert Teel purchased a minority interest in the colt in mid-April. Teel works as a commodities trader with seats in Chicago Board of Trade and the New York Stock Exchange.Homeboykris will mark the first starter in the Kentucky Derby for all of the owners.
Dark Hollow Farm and William Paca Beatson
Dark Hollow Farm is located in Baltimore County, Maryland on 185 acres.David and JoAnn Hayden started the full-service Thoroughbred farm 30 years ago.In the mid-1980s got its first stand out mare with Safely Home, she went on to produce three stakes winners including Safely Kept, who won the 1989 Eclipse Award for Outstanding Sprinter.David also runs his advertising business from the farm.JoAnn recently retired after many years as a teacher in Baltimore County schools. William Paca Beatson is a longtime breeding partner with David and JoAnn and he lives in Annapolis, Maryland.
- From the first crop of Roman Ruler, a son of 2000 Kentucky Derby (G1) hero Fusaichi Pegasus
- Roman Ruler was an accomplished juvenile who went on to capture the 1 1/8-mile Haskell Invitational (G1) at three
- The young stallion almost had two starters in this edition of the Kentucky Derby; besides Homeboykris, he is also responsible for dual Grade 3 victor and Florida Derby (G1) third-place finisher Rule, a late defection from Derby 136
- Other notable runners by Roman Ruler include Roman Invasion, third in the Breeders' Futurity (G1) last fall, and Tiny Woods, runner-up in the San Vicente S. (G2) this season
- Homeboykris is out of the stakes-placed One Last Salute, who won at up to 1 1/8 miles
- One Last Salute is a full sister to Sean's Ferrari, winner of the six-furlong Maryland Nursery S. at two
- They were both sired by Irish stakes victor and Group 2-placed Salutely, who had more of an impact as the sire of steeplechasers
- Salutely's top runner on the "Flat" was $897,590-earner Alcovy, twice a winner at the Grade 3 level
- Homeboykris is far and away the best performer out of a Salutely mare
- Interestingly, Homeboykris' dam is inbred to the all-time great *Ribot, a profound source of stamina
- Although Homeboykris' family has been undistinguished in recent decades, further back, the female line was a notable one in the first half of the 20th century, producing champions Maud Muller and Lavender Hill and handicap stalwart Mount Marcy
Powered by Brisnet