- Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Racing & Wagering
Prep Race HistoryDownload Past Performances
Hall of Famer Bob Baffert won the Kentucky Derby back-to-back in 1997 and 1998 with Silver Charm and Real Quiet and again in 2002 with War Emblem. He has saddled 19 horses in the Run for the Roses. He has won the Preakness stakes a record tying five times and has won the Eclipse Award for top trainer three times. Baffert has saddled two Kentucky Oaks winners, Silverbulletday and Plum Pretty.
Garrett won back-to-back Eclipses for Outstanding Jockey in 2007 and 2008, has won ten Breeders’ Cup races, and won the Shoemaker Award for top performance by a jockey at the Breeders’ Cup in 2005, 2007, 2008, and 2010. Garrett won the 2007 Kentucky Oaks on Rags to Riches and has made nine appearances in the Kentucky Derby with his best finish coming in 2009 on Pioneerofthe Nile, who ran second. Garrett got involved in horse racing by his father, Louis. Took out his jockey’s license to start riding at Sante Fe Downs in New Mexico.
Mike Pegram, Karl Watson, Paul Weitman
Pegram, Watson and Weitman have been lifelong friends and have had a great deal of success in the horse business together. The first horse the three partners purchased was Midnight Lute who won back to back editions of the Breeder's Cup Sprint and was named Eclipse Champion sprinter. They followed that success with champion two and three year old Lookin at Lucky . Pegram owns a string of McDonald's restaurants in Arizona and Watson and Weitman own car dealerships in Arizona.
Gulf Coast Farms
Owned and run by Jerry Bailey and Lance Robinson.
- By two-time leading sire Smart Strike, winner of the nine-furlong Philip H. Iselin H. (G1) in 1996
- Sire's best son is two-time Horse of the Year Curlin, North America's all-time leading money earner and 2007 Preakness S. (G1) winner
- Other notable runners by Smart Strike include champion turf horse English Channel, top sprinter Fabulous Strike and Canadian Horse of the Year Soaring Free
- Smart Strike's progeny are a versatile bunch, ranging from sprinters to marathoners on all kinds of surfaces
- Lookin at Lucky's dam, Private Feeling, has also produced 2009 Jim Dandy S. (G2) and Dwyer S. (G2) winner Kensei
- Private Feeling is a daughter of multiple Grade 3-winning sprinter Belong to Me, whose other exceptional fillies include champion turf mare Forever Together
- Lookin at Lucky is bred on the same cross as Papa Clem, last year's Arkansas Derby (G2) winner and fourth-place finisher in the Kentucky Derby (G1); both are by Smart Strike out of mares by Belong to Me
- Belong to Me's other daughters have produced the likes of Circular Quay, winner of the 2007 Louisiana Derby (G2), and Radiohead (GB), a smart juvenile last year
- Lookin at Lucky comes from the same family as champion filly Wait a While
- Figures to inherit more stamina from his sire's half of the pedigree than from his dam's side
Powered by Brisnet