- Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Racing & Wagering
- Derby Experience
- Plan Your Visit
Prep Race History
|May 1 2010||136th Kentucky Derby presented by YUM! Brands Churchill Downs||I||1 1/4||4||REPLAY|
|Apr 10 2010||Toyota Blue Grass Stakes Keeneland||I||1 & 1/8M||6||REPLAY|
|Dec 19 2009||CashCall Futurity Hollywood Park||I||1 1/16||3||N/A|
Born July 27, 1952 in Oakland, California.Describes herself as a “horse nut” as a child and worked at riding stables to learn to ride.Made her way to the race track in her 20s, working with trainer Jack Utley at Golden Gate Fields. She would later go on to work for trainers Jerry Dutton, Tommy Doyle, and Bill Spawr before becoming assistant to Eddie Gregson, who trained Gato del Sol to a win in the 1982 Kentucky Derby.In 2000, Gregson passed away and Barba took over his stable. Her six horse stable consists of Make Music for Me, who will make an appearance in the 2010 Kentucky Derby.
Joel Rosario enrolled in jockey school for six months in his native Dominican Republic and by the age of fourteen had his jockey’s license. He won his first Breeders’ Cup race in 2009 with Dancing in Silks. In 2013 he won The Kentucky Derby aboard Orb, won the Dubai World Cup aboard Animal Kingdom and set a Keeneland spring-meeting record with 38 winning rides. He made his first Kentucky Derby appearance in 2010 aboard Make Music for Me, finishing fourth. He other top mounts have included: Creative Cause, Acclimation, Blind Luck, Harmonious, Dakota Phone, Dubawi Heights, Twirling Candy and Zazu.
Ellen and Peter O Johnson
Natives of Wisconsin, the husband and wife now reside in California.Peter founded the company Hy Cite Corp., a firm that is a direct marketer of housewares and also handles financing of those purchases. It is now run by his three sons.Johnson in 2004 sold his pharmaceutical manufacturing operation Tetrionics Corporation.Partnered with Teresa Williams on Alphie’s Bet, who is a contender for the Belmont Stakes.
Owns and operates True South Training Center in Ocala, Florida.The 83-acre facility features a starting gate, barns, and a European equisizer.Schultz buys select yearlings and will train them at the farm to be sold as racing prospects.Top runners include: Baroness Thatcher, Are We Dreamin, Lemonlime, Starvinsky, and Make Music for Me.
Bernstein--Miss Cheers, by Carson City
- By the well-bred Storm Cat stallion Bernstein, who raced exclusively on turf and captured a pair of Irish Group 3 sprints
- Although beaten in all three attempts at a mile or beyond, Bernstein was bred to stay farther than he actually did in his brief, eight-race career
- Has sired top-class runners on every kind of surface and ranks as a major sire in Argentina, where his progeny include Horse of the Year and champion stayer Storm Mayor, a two-time winner of the prestigious Gran Premio Carlos Pellegrini (Arg-G1), and on the other side of the spectrum, champion sprinter Storm Marcopolo
- More typical representatives include milers like Argentinean champion Storm Military; sprinter/miler Stormy Kiss; accomplished juveniles like Japanese champion Goshawk Ken, Alcibiades S. (G1) winner Dream Empress and West Side Bernie; and Miss World, heroine of the grassy, nine-furlong Garden City S. (G1)
- Make Music for Me is out of the stakes-winning sprinter Miss Cheers, who earned $149,010 during her racing career
- Miss Cheers is by the Grade 2-winning sprinter Carson City, a speed influence with such notable runners as UAE champion sprinter State City and Grade 1 scorers City Zip, Cuvee, Flying Chevron, City Band, and Carson Hollow
- Carson City's daughters, however, can produce 10-furlong horses if bred to the right stallion -- 2006 Derby romper Barbaro was out of a Carson City mare, as is 2009 Hollywood Gold Cup (G1) star Rail Trip
- Make Music for Me's second dam, Rise and Sing, is closely related to Opening Verse, the 1991 Breeders' Cup Mile (G1) hero who managed to place in a pair of major 1 1/4-mile events, the Hollywood Gold Cup and Eclipse S. (Eng-G1)
- Rise and Sing could pass on some latent stamina, as a daughter of dual European classic hero The Minstrel from a mare by 1977 Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew, but her influence is still being mediated by the speedy Miss Cheers
- With Bernstein not being a thoroughgoing stamina influence, and with Carson City tilting the pedigree more in the speedy direction, Make Music for Me is a question mark at the Derby distance
Powered by Brisnet