- Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Racing & Wagering
- Derby Experience
- Plan Your Visit
Prep Race History
Dale Romans grew up on the Churchill Downs backstretch learning his trade from longtime trainer and father Jerry Romans. The Louisville, Ky native just missed winning the 2010 Kentucky Derby when Paddy O’ Prado finished a game third. Dullahan was a fast closing third in Kentucky Derby 138 and would follow that up with a win in the G-1 Pacific Classic. In 2011 he won his first Classic race when Shackleford captured The Preakness Stakes. He saddled Court Vision to an upset win in the Breeders Cup Turf Mile in 2011 and captured the Breeders Futurity with Dullahan. 2012 was a banner year for the Romans stable with wins by Shackleford in the G-1 Met Mile and G-1 Clark Handicap and Little Mike's gallant victories in the G-1 Woodford Reserve, Arlington Million and Breeders' Cup Turf. His other top runners include O'Prado Again, Sassy Image, First Dude, Kitten’s Joy, Tapitsfly, and Roses in May.
Like many other top jockeys, Desormeaux is a product of Louisiana and started his riding career at Evangeline Downs. He has won the Kentucky Derby on three occasions guiding Real Quiet in 1998, Fusaichi Pegasus in 2000, and Big Brown in 2008. Desormeaux was inducted into racing’s Hall of Fame in 2004 and has won the Eclipse Award for top jockey three times. Other top horses include Paddy O'Prado, Summer Bird, Dullahan, and C. S. Silk.
Donegal Racing is a partnership that was formed in 2008 and is managed by Jerry Crawford who has been involved in horse ownership for over 30 years. The name refers to the Irish county of origin of the Donegal family and the racing silks as well as the names of the partnership horses reflect the Irish heritage. The group campaigned Paddy O’Prado who finished third in the 2010 Kentucky Derby. Along with Dullahan, Donegal Racing was represented by G-2 winner O’Prado Again in 2011.
The Winchell family won the 2005 Kentucky Oaks with Summerly, and have made five starts in the Kentucky Derby: 1981 Classic Go Go, 4th; 1994 Valiant Nature, 13th; 2004 Tapit, 9th; 2007 Zanjero, 12th; 2008 Pyro, 8th. They were represented in 2010 by their homebred stakes winner Remit and as breeder of Paddy O’ Prado who finished third in Kentucky Derby 136. Winchell has a promising Kentucky Derby contender in Tapizar who most recently won the Grade III Sham Stakes at Santa Anita. Winchell Thoroughbreds is owned by Joan and her son Ron who took over the business when his father Verne passed away due to a heart attack in 2002. Ron owns a chain of restaurants in Las Vegas called Winchell’s Pub and Grill. They have raced graded stakes winners: War Echo, Hightap, Cuvee, Olympio, Sea Cadet, and Valiant Nature. They own Corinthia Farm near Lexington, Kentucky. Joan and Ron Winchell both reside in Las Vegas.
El Prado (Ire)--Fun House, by Prized
- Paddy O’Prado is by Irish champion and Group 1 winner El Prado (Ire)
- El Prado’s top progeny include champion turf horse Kitten’s Joy and multiple Grade 1 king Medaglia d’Oro
- Malibu Moon is also the sire of Grade 1 heroines Malibu Mint and Funny Moon
- El Prado’s offspring have won from four furlongs to 2 1/2 miles, with an average winning distance of 7 1/2 furlongs
- Paddy O’Prado is out of Grade 2 scorer Fun House, who is a half-sister to Grade 2 victor Early Flyer
- That pair’s dam, Bistra, is herself a half-sibling to Grade 1 winner Olympio and Grade 2 heroine Call Now
- Others of note in this female line Grade 1 winners Pyro and Cuvee, as well as Grade 2 scorers Wild Wonder and Will He Shine
- Paddy O’Prado’s broodmare sire is Grade 1 winner Prized, who made his mark on both the turf and dirt
- Daughters of Red Ransom have produced the likes of Grade 1 queen Romance is Diane
Powered by Brisnet