- Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Racing & Wagering
- Derby Experience
- Plan Your Own Derby Party
- My Party
- Plan Your Party
- Find Recipes
- Recipe Central
- Drink Recipes
- Watch the Derby
- Taste of Derby
- News / Photos / Videos
- Plan Your Visit
Chicken Salad Sandwich
by Nancy Silverton of La Brea Bakery
For the Homemade Dressing
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolk, salt, pepper and mustard together.
- Add the vinegar and lemon juice and whisk to blend.
- Slowly drizzle in the oil, drop by drop, whisking constantly.
Please note: This recipe makes more than needed for a single serving of chicken salad. Extra dressing will keep in a sealed container for up to three days. Toss dressing with lettuce for a small side salad.
For the Chicken Salad
- 2 thick slices of wheat or sourdough bread
- 2 - 4 tablespoons homemade dressing (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup napa cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup radicchio, shredded
- 1/2 tablespoon pitted kalamata olives, quartered
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup mixed greens, cut into small pieces or shredded
- Add 2 tablespoons of homemade dressing to the chicken, cabbage, radicchio, olives, parsley, garlic and mixed greens.
- Toss until mixture is completely coated but not saturated, add more dressing if necessary.
To Assemble Sandwich
Arrange the chicken salad on one slice of bread and cover with the top slice of bread. Cut sandwich in half on the diagonal.