- Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Racing & Wagering
- Derby Experience
- Plan Your Own Derby Party
- My Party
- Plan Your Party
- Find Recipes
- Recipe Central
- Drink Recipes
- Watch the Derby
- Taste of Derby
- News / Photos / Videos
- Derby Stories
- Plan Your Visit
Grilled Swordfish with Pineapple Vanilla Butter Sauce
by Kent Rathbun of Abascus Restaurant
For the Swordfish
- 8 pieces swordfish steaks, 7 ounce each and 1 inch thick
- 2 ounces canola oil
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- Rub swordfish filets with olive oil and season with kosher salt.
- Grill filets over a wood fire until done.
- Swordfish should be done but be careful not to overcook and dry out.
- Serve swordfish with pineapple - vanilla butter sauce and black rice (see recipe).
For the Pineapple Chips
- 16 slices pineapple, peeled and sliced paper thin.
- Place pineapple slices on a silicone baking sheet and bake/dry in a 200 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes until crisp.
- Use chips as a garnish for the swordfish.
For the Sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot, peeled & chopped
- 1 each vanilla bean, split
- 2 cups pineapple juice, fresh
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb. butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- In a medium sauce pot add canola oil and sauté shallots and garlic until translucent.
- Deglaze with pineapple juice, add vanilla bean and reduce by half.
- Add heavy cream, continue cooking and reduce by half
- Slowly whisk in butter a little at a time, making sure that each cube is incorporated before adding the next.
- Season with salt, Pass through fine chinois.
- Add diced pineapple and serve.