Welcome to the first of a new weekly roundup, checking in with Kentucky Derby (G1) and Kentucky Oaks (G1) contestants who are still on the racetrack! The Derby and the Oaks are two of the most exciting races of the year, but following the competitors as they continue their careers can be just as thrilling. We're here to help you do that!
- 2021 Arkansas Derby (G1) winner Super Stock (16th, 2021 Kentucky Derby) returned to winning form Aug. 15. He stalked the pace and bounded clear to win the Ellis Park Derby by 3 3/4 lengths over longshot There Goes Harvard. It was Super Stock's second win this year, and the third of his career.
- On Aug. 16 Mr. Big News (3rd, 2020 Kentucky Derby) made his first start since a seventh-place finish in the 2020 Preakness (G1). He returned in an allowance dirt mile at Colonial Downs. The track came up muddy and, after chasing midpack, he finished fourth. Beaten 7 1/4 lengths, he finished a neck out of third.
- On Aug. 8, Necker Island (9th, 2020 Kentucky Derby) switched to the lawn for the first time in his career. Sent off as the chalk in a field of five in the Kentucky Downs Preview Mint Million, he was making up ground late but finished third, missing by a length over the in-form Chicago invader Betwithbothhands.
- Major Fed (10th, 2020 Kentucky Derby) impressed when returning to the races on June 25 at Churchill Downs, fighting on to win an allowance over the Churchill dirt. He took some time returning to the worktab, but posted a three-furlong drill at Saratoga on Aug. 15, his first since that victory.
- Code of Honor (2nd, 2019 Kentucky Derby) continues on the comeback trail. He has not raced since his fifth-place finish in the Pegasus World Cup (G1) in January, but he is drilling regularly at Saratoga and considered possible for the Philip H. Iselin (G3) on Aug. 21 at Monmouth.
- The Alabama (G1), Aug. 21 at Saratoga, may feature much of the 2021 Kentucky Oaks field. Malathaat (1st) rematches against Maracuja (7th), who sprung the upset against the Malathaat in the Coaching Club American Oaks (G1). Will's Secret (3rd), Clairiere (4th), and Crazy Beautiful (10th) are also working at the Spa and nominated for the Alabama.