1. Dialed In -- Late runner overcame a pronounced bias in favor of speed to win the Florida Derby (G1); needs to overcome inexperience, and navigate through a 20-horse field, to give trainer Nick Zito his third Derby.
2. Uncle Mo -- Two-year-old champ lost his unbeaten luster when upset in the Wood Memorial (G1), but exited the race with a GI infection; Todd Pletcher trainee had looked exceptional before that hiccup, so don't count him out just yet.
3. Archarcharch -- Arkansas Derby (G1) upset wasn't that big of a surprise, just got the kind of off-the-pace trip he needs; his strong rally on the far turn is the kind of move that wins the Run for the Roses.
4. Toby's Corner -- Stepped up big-time with addition of blinkers to beat Mo the Wood, maneuvering through traffic and showing a nifty change of gear to get up in the final strides; dangerous improver who is also proven in the slop.
5. Mucho Macho Man -- Risen Star (G2) winner gets extra credit for effort when third in the Louisiana Derby (G2), despite losing a shoe and gouging his hoof right out of the gate; tall colt with the late June 15 birthday has been training sharply ever since.
6. Soldat -- Dominated the Fountain of Youth (G2) in front-running fashion; change to off-the-pace tactics didn't work in the Florida Derby, but can rebound if allowed to use his tactical speed, and would relish a sloppy track.
7. Nehro -- Late bloomer narrowly missed in both the Louisiana and Arkansas Derbies; Steve Asmussen colt is a deep-closing threat, but must try to get into contention a little earlier or could run out of ground again.
8. Midnight Interlude -- Bob Baffert trainee jumped up from a maiden win to capture the Santa Anita Derby (G1), showing professionalism to shrug off interference in the stretch; must defy the historical stats against unraced two-year-olds going on to win the Derby.
9. Master of Hounds -- Talented Irish invader was just robbed on the line in his comeback in the U.A.E. Derby (G2) in Dubai; trainer Aidan O'Brien's horses invariably move forward second time out, but racing on dirt is brand new territory.
10. Animal Kingdom -- Convincing winner of the Spiral (G3) was flattered when the Spiral third, Twinspired, returned to miss by a whisker in the Blue Grass (G1); intriguing colt is bred for turf, and would be trying dirt for the first time.