Apple Cranberry Crisp
Yields 8 Servings
- 5 cups tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon cup water
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Pecan brown sugar topping
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss to coat with everything so that the spices and sugar are well distributed throughout the apples. Partially cover the pot and cook until the apples are just tender, about 10. Once cooked fold in cranberries
Stir in vanilla extract, flour, water, combine well transfer to a 9 inch baking pan.
- 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 5 ounces unsalted butter, ( about 11/4 sticks) cut into small cubes and chilled
In a food processor, pulse flour, raw sugar, lemon zest, nutmeg, and salt until well combined.
Add pecans and pulse just until pecans start to break apart, 2 to 3 pulses. Some whole pecans should still be visible.
Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles a coarse meal with pea-sized chunks. Transfer to a bowl and chill in refrigerator until ready to bake.
Transfer to apples baking dish and cover with crisp topping, spreading it into an even layer across the dish.. Bake until topping is golden brown (30-40 minutes. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.