You say bread salad, the Tuscans say Panzanella. Mix up the typical salad with this outdoor-friendly Italian party-pleaser.
- ½ large loaf rustic Italian bread
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, medium chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, medium chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded, ribs removed, medium chopped
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12-15 fresh basil leaves, roughly torn into large pieces
- Tear, chop, or crumble bread into small pieces and place into a large bowl.
- Add all the chopped vegetables and mix with the bread.
- Add vinegar, olive oil, garlic, and basil leaves. Toss thoroughly and the season with salt and pepper.
- Let rest at room temperature for 1-2 hours before serving.
- Other variations include adding capers, hard-boiled eggs, tuna fish or olives.