14 Hands Derby Torte
Mindie Pena, Culinary Lead 14 Hands Winery
- 15 ounces –bittersweet chocolate
ounces – unsalted butter
- 7 – egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons – granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons – 2014 Limited Release Kentucky Derby Red Blend
teaspoon – vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon – salt
- 5 – egg whites
- 3 tablespoons – granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 300o. Grease a 9”
spring form pan.
the chocolate and butter together, over a double broiler or in 30 second
intervals in the microwave. Whisk until well blended. Set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, using a whisk attachment, beat together the
egg yolks, 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, wine, vanilla, and salt on
medium-high speed until pale and very thick, 3-5 minutes. Gradually pour in the chocolate mixture and
continue beating until well blended.
- In a clean mixing bowl, using a whisk attachment
beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until foamy. Gradually add the
remaining 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar and continue to beat until medium
firm peaks form. Scoop half of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and
gently fold in. Fold in the remaining
whites just until no streaks remain. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread
out evenly. Bake for 40 minutes. Do not overcook. Transfer pan to wire rack and
let cool for 30 minutes.
the cake from pan. Let cool completely, then cover and refrigerate for 3 hours