Short Ribs with Vidalia® Onion Demi Recipe
- 5 lbs. Boneless Short Ribs, cut into 6 oz. portions
- 2 TBSP Kosher Salt
- 2 TBSP Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 4 cups Yellow Vidalia® Onions, peeled cut in large dice
- 1 cup Carrots, peeled, cut in large dice
- 1 cup Celery, cut in large dice
- ½ cup Garlic, whole, peeled
- ¼ oz. Fresh Oregano Leaves
- ½ oz Fresh Thyme
- ½ bunch Parsley
- ¼ cup Your Favorite Whiskey
- ¼ gallon Red Wine
- ¼ gallon Veal Demi
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 4 cups Vidalia® Onion, Julienned
- Season the short ribs on all sides evenly with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over a high heat to the point it begins to smoke
- Place the short ribs directly on the hot skillet and sear on all sides. Approx. 3 minutes per side.
- Place seared short ribs in a cake pan with high sides.
- In a stock/sauce pot, sauté the onions, carrots, celery, garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh herbs and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Add whiskey to deglaze pan (careful of flare ups).
- Add Red Wine
- Add veal demi glace and boil for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture over the short ribs.
- Cover with plastic wrap and then cover with foil
- Cook @ 225 for 8 hours.
- Remove from the oven and separate the meat from the liquid.
- Strain the liquid.
- In a medium saucepot place olive oil on Medium-High Heat and cook Vidalia® onions until caramelized add liquid mixture and simmer for 20 minutes. Ladle Vidalia® Onion demi over short ribs.
Get ideas & inspiration to make your Kentucky Derby party special: