How the Kentucky Derby: Triple Crown Showdown Works
- The Kentucky Derby: Triple Crown Showdown will be an animated race created by Inspired Entertainment Inc. using computer-generated imagery.
- Fans select which Triple Crown Winner they think will win the race (only 1 entry per person will be accepted); entries close at 5:30pm ET on May 2nd.
- The race will be shown on at approximately 5:45 p.m. ET during NBC’s broadcast of “The First Saturday In May: American Pharoah’s Run to the Triple Crown,” on Saturday, May 2 from 3-6 p.m. ET. and posted on @Kentuckyderby social media channels later that evening.
- If your horse wins the race, you will be entered into a random drawing to win The Ultimate Kentucky Derby Experience
The Prize (courtesy of Churchill Downs and Derby Experiences)
A 4-day/3-night Kentucky Derby Ultimate Experience for two (winner and guest) including...
- 2 tickets to the 2020 Kentucky Oaks & Derby in Matt Winn’s Steakhouse including access to 6th floor viewing platform, gourmet food, and private wagering stations;
- 3 nights’ hotel accommodations for winner and guest at the Galt House Hotel (subject to availability);
- 2 tickets to the Taste of Derby food and wine event on Thursday, 9/3/2020;
- 2 tickets to the Fillies and Lillies Derby Eve Gala on Friday, 9/4;
- 2 tickets to the official Kentucky Derby Winner’s Party on Saturday, 9/5;
- Best of Kentucky Tour for winner and guest including a private horse farm and bourbon distillery tour;
- Ground transportation for winner and guest throughout stay; (iv) and a toast in Exclusive Director’s Room on Kentucky Oaks
- $3,000 (awarded in the form of a check or wire transfer, payable to winner) intended to be used by winner towards air transportation to Louisville, KY, for winner and guest
- The winner will be notified by email by Monday, May 4, 2020
How the winner of the virtual race is determined
- To determine the probability of each contender winning the race, select officials from Churchill Downs analyzed the historical past performance of each Triple Crown winner and incorporated the opinions of distinguished horse racing experts who evaluated each contender’s achievements and put them into historical perspective.
- That information, known as the Fundamental Probabilities, was fed into Inspire Entertainment’s computer models which will determine the final result by using these probabilities in conjunction with random number generation.
- The Fundamental Probabilities only determine the chances of each horse winning the race. Those with a higher probability value are not necessarily going to win the race, they just have a greater chance of doing so.
- Note that Mike Battaglia’s morning line odds are independent of the Fundamental Probabilities and Battaglia was not aware of the Fundamental Probabilities for each horse when setting them.