As you plan your trip to Churchill Downs for Kentucky Derby weekend, be sure to review the list of items that are permitted and those that cannot be brought into the racing facility.
All patrons are subject to metal detector scans before entry to the track on all of Derby Week (Opening Night- Derby Day). Oaks and Derby patrons are advised to arrive early to accommodate search procedures at all admission gates. Admission gates (Paddock, Clubhouse will be open on Oaks & Derby days at 9:00 a.m. (all times Eastern). First post is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. on both days. Click Here to view gates open information for Derby Week.
Guests will be required to return any prohibited items to their vehicles or discard them before entering the facility. Churchill Downs will not be responsible for any items left near the entrances and such items may be thrown away. There is no re-entry after exiting the facility; patrons are not permitted to leave Churchill Downs and return on the same ticket.
Patrons are reminded: "If you see something, say something." If you see something unusual please immediately call 502-636-4526 to report it.
This list is subject to change & any item deemed inappropriate or unsafe may be denied entry at any time. PLEASE NOTE: Food & Beverage is not permitted outside of Thurby, Oaks & Derby days.
Churchill Downs Racetrack will enforce a restricted bag policy from Saturday, April 30th, 2022 through Derby Day (Saturday, May 7th, 2022). Each guest is permitted one bag no larger than 12" x 6" x 12".
- Alcoholic beverages
- Backpacks, duffel bags and luggage
- Bags larger than 12" x 6" x 12"
- Balloons and inflatables
- Banners and/or signs, unless pre-approved
- Cameras with detachable lenses, or equipped with a lens that is 6” or larger
- Canopies and tents
- Cans (any size or type), glass bottles or containers
- Collapsible Chairs (Please see below exceptions for Infield Gate Only)
- Drones and remote controlled aircraft
- Fireworks, noise makers, air horns, laser lights/pointers, mace or pepper spray
- Food & Beverage*
- Hoverboards, skateboards and scooters
- Illegal Substances
- Personal music players without head-phones, portable speakers/sound systems
- Pets, except for trained service animals
- Poles or sticks of any size
- Projectile Items, balls, and Frisbees
- Seat Cushions that are larger than 15" X 15" that contain metal arms and/or backs, zippers, pockets or flaps
- Selfie Sticks
- Umbrellas of any size
- Weapons (including guns, knives, and cigar cutters)
- Any items deemed dangerous and/or inappropriate
- Baby bag & Diaper bags, if accompanied by a child (subject to search)
- Strollers , if accompanied by a child
- *THURBY, OAKS & DERBY DAYS ONLY: Boxed lunches or food items in clear plastic bags or containers that do not exceed the maximum size (12" X 6" X 12"). Boxed lunches or food items must fit in the guest's bag or one-gallon clear Ziploc-style storage bag (no trash bags). Guests are restricted to one bag only - additional bags for food will not be permitted.
- THURBY, OAKS & DERBY DAYS ONLY: Bottled water that is in a sealed, clear and unopened plastic bottle- limit of two 24 oz. bottles per person
- INFIELD GATE ONLY: Collapsible camping chairs (must be removed from bag during search)
- INFIELD GATE ONLY: Tarpaulins (“Tarps”) and Picninc Blankets that are smaller than 10’ x 10’. Once inside the gate, tarps may not be secured to the infield fence or any other permanent structure.
This list is subject to change and any item deemed inappropriate or unsafe may not be carried into the facility at any time.
Patrons could be required to turn on electronic items