Turkey Meatballs with Peach Hot Sauce Recipe
By Churchill Downs Executive Chef
- 2 pound Ground Turkey
- 1 Yellow Onion grated
- 2 Garlic Cloves finely minced
- 4 Whole Eggs
- 1 Granny smith apple peeled and grated
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh oregano finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a mixer with the dough hook attachment.
- Cook a tiny piece of the mixture in a small pan like a burger patty to taste for seasoning.
- Once seasoned properly portion the raw mixture into even 2 oz portions.
- You can use a scale or a scoop to ensure that all of the meatballs are consistently sized.
Peach Hot Sauce
- 6-7 large fresh peaches, peeled cored and chopped
- 4 habanero peppers
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch fresh grated nutmeg
- Combine the peaches, habaneros, brown sugar, and 1 cup of the vinegar in a large skillet
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a medium sauce pan, add the salt and nutmeg, and bring to a boil.
- Add the remaining ½ cup vinegar,
- Bring back to a boil, and skim off an foam that rises to the top.
- Remove from the heat.
Get ideas & inspiration to make your Kentucky Derby party special: