Uncle Rey's Lumpia
A fun appetizer for more adventurous palates and pairs well with Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling – just don’t call it an egg roll!
- 2 boxes of Lumpia Wrappers-make sure to get the packages with the paper separating each wrapper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 carrots-peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 stocks celery-washed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion-peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb. bean spouts
- 2-1 lb. bags of frozen French style beans
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Put the chicken in a small stock pot, cover with water and add the carrots, celery and onion.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and starting to fall from the bone.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, set aside to cool.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, pull the meat from the bone. Put the bones and skin back into the stock pot. Turn the heat up and bring the liquid back to a boil.
- Cook until the liquid is reduced by 1/2.
- Strain out the bones and vegetables and put the liquid back into the pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the beans and bean sprouts into the stock, simmer until the beans are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the pulled chicken meat to the stock and mix well.
- Remove from the heat and strain dry out the filling.
- Cool the chicken and vegetable mixture completely before making the lumpia.
Rolling the lumpia
- Place one wrapper on the table or cutting board,
- Put 1/4 cup of the chicken filling in the lower 1/4 of the wrapper.
- Fold the wrapper over the filling, then roll over once.
- Fold in the ends to seal in the filling then continue folding over until almost to the top.
- Brush the edge of the wrapper, fold over and seal. Continue making the lumpia until the filling is used up,
- Heat about 1 ½ inch of vegetable or canola oil to 350 degrees in a medium sized deep sided sauce pan.
- Place the lumpia in the hot oil a few at a time, turning each one until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and put on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve with the dipping sauce.
Dipping Sauce Ingredients & Instructions
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar, unseasoned
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Mix the ingredients together, serve in a dipping bowl