- 1 pound beef top round chunked
- 1 pound lamb sirloin chunked
- 1/2 pounds chicken thighs chunked
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 12 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (one 12-ounce bag)
- 2 1/2 cups frozen sliced okra (one 12-ounce bag)
- 2 15-ounce cans, butter beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Kentucky sorghum or molasses
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place the beef, lamb, and chicken in a large Dutch oven.
- Add the salt and water. Bring to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface.
- Reduce the heat, partially cover, and simmer until the beef and lamb are fork tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the beef, lamb, and chicken pieces to a plate and let cool.
- Strain the broth, pour back into Dutch oven.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, mixed vegetables, okra, butter beans, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, sorghum or molasses, ketchup, vinegar, cloves, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the meat to the vegetables and cook for about 1/2 hour to thicken the broth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Get ideas & inspiration to make your Kentucky Derby party special: