Butternut Squash, Baby Kale & Farro Risotto Recipe
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 6 TBSP Unsalted Butter
- 2 cups Butternut Squash, Peeled and cubed into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup Yellow Onion, small diced
- 1 TBSP Garlic, Minced
- 2 cups Semi-Pearled Farro, uncooked
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- ½ cup White Wine
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 cups Baby Kale, Chopped
- ¼ cup Toasted Walnut pieces
- 2 oz. Chiffonade Fresh Mint (Chopped no stems) Divided
- ½ Tsp Red Chili Flake
- As needed Kosher Salt
- As needed Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 ounce of fresh mint. Continue melting, until foamy and starts to brown, about 5 minutes. (You should see small brown specks and the butter should smell nutty).
- Pour melted brown butter over butternut squash in a stainless steel bowl, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and mix to evenly combine.
- Spread evenly onto lined baking sheet and bake 20-25 minutes until softened and slightly browned. Set aside and let cool.
- In another saucepan place heavy cream and chicken stock in it and bring to a low simmer. Keep warm.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a separate medium-large saucepan. Add yellow onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper; stir and cook until onions are softened and translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add Farro and remaining and stir to combine and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add in white wine, stir and cook 1-2 minutes until liquid is almost fully evaporated
- Ladle about ½ cup of the heated chicken stock cream mixture to your Farro mixture and stir until almost all the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding ½ cup portions of the stock and stirring until fully absorbed. Repeat this process until the broth is gone and the Farro is fully cooked. This should take about 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in chopped kale, cooked butternut squash, mint, red chili flakes and parmesan cheese.
- Stir to combine adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove Farro Risotto from pot and place in the desired serving vessel. Finish with olive oil drizzle, toasted walnuts, mint and top with parmesan cheese and enjoy.
Get ideas & inspiration to make your Kentucky Derby party special: