Thank you to our sponsor
Battle of Midway Racing News
All Racing News
- Named after the WWII naval battle that took place on the Midway Atoll in the Pacific Ocean.
- Part owner Win Star Farm win the 2010 Derby with Super Saver.
- Jockey Flavien Prat began riding full time in the US in 2015.
- Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer is winless from 5 Derby attempts but has won the KY Oaks 3 times with Blind Luck (2010) Pike Place Dancer (1996) and Lite Light (1991).
- His dam, Rigoletta, had surgery while she was around four months in foal with Battle of Midway -- She got a foot abscess that turned into a coffin bone infection. She went through extensive rehab to get back to full health.
Battle of Midway proved he was a fighter when finishing second in the Santa Anita Derby (G1) April 8, putting himself in a strong position to earn a Kentucky Derby start.
Trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, Battle of Midway led for most of the 1-1/8 mile race and fought off all but the more experienced Gormley to earn 40 points on the Road to the Kentucky Derby leaderboard.
Bred by Thor-Bred Stables in Kentucky, Battle of Midway was a $410,000 purchase by Fox Hill Farm at the 2015 Fasig-Tipton Saratoga selected yearling sale. He is by the two-time champion sire Smart Strike, whose progeny include the outstanding Curlin, winner of the Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1) and the Dubai World Cup (G1), both at 1-1/4 miles, and English Channel, winner of the Breeders’ Cup Turf at 1-1/2 miles.
Battle of Midway’s dam Rigoletta was a grade I winner as a juvenile and comes from a family more noted for speed than stamina.
Prior to the Santa Anita Derby, Battle of Midway had raced three times. He won a maiden special weight and an allowance race, and finished third in the San Vicente Stakes (G2) behind Iliad. He has raced both on or behind the speed.
Battle of Midway’s Derby prospects partially depend on whether he throws more to his sire than his dam’s family in terms of stamina. He may also need to improve further on his Santa Anita Derby run, but can’t be ignored by punters in what has been an unpredictable Kentucky Derby trail.
|3rd||Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands||I||1 1/4 Miles||Dirt||May 6, 2017|
|2nd||Santa Anita Derby||I||1 1/8 Miles||Dirt||Apr 8, 2017|