Thank you to our sponsor
Hence Racing News
All Racing News
- Jockey Florent Geroux has only one other Derby mount in his career, 2016 third place finished Gun Runner.
- Owner Calumet Farm has won a record of eight KY Derbies and have 2 starters in their year’s race -- Hence, Patch, and Sonneteer.
- Trainer Steve Asmussen has 3 starters in this years KY Derby -- Hence, Untrapped, and Lookin at Lee.
- Asmussen’s best Derby finish to date is 2nd with Nehro in 2011.
- Eddie Kane, manager of Calumet Farm explained how he got his name as: "Hence was always a good-looking horse – ‘hence’ he should be fast".
Hence will give historic Calumet Farm a chance to improve its outstanding Kentucky Derby record in 2017 after earning a start by virtue of winning the Sunland Derby (G3) March 26.
A Calumet Farm homebred trained by Steve Asmussen, Hence didn’t win in three juvenile starts but broke his maiden Jan. 16 at Oaklawn Park. He then finished seventh to One Liner in the Southwest Stakes (G3) before Asmussen decided to ship him to Sunland Park. Well back early on in the Sunland Derby, Hence made a fast move on the final turn before out-fighting the unbeaten local hope Conquest Mo Money, winning his way into the Kentucky Derby.
Hence’s sire Street Boss, by Street Cry, has made a very good start at stud, his progeny including 2016 Kentucky Oaks (G1) winner Cathryn Sophia, Arkansas Derby (G1) victor Danza, and Rapper Dragon, who completed Hong Kong’s Triple Crown by winning the 1-1/4 mile Hong Kong Derby (HK-I) March 26. Hence’s dam Floating Island (by A.P. Indy) is a daughter of Ballerina Princess, whose daughter Pico Teneriffe was Canadian broodmare of the year after producing Canadian champion older horse Marchfield (by A.P. Indy), a multiple graded stakes winner.
Hence’s pedigree suggests he should stay 1-1/4 miles, as does his style of relaxing early and swooping late. There will be doubts about the opposition he beat in the Sunland Derby given his seventh place finish in the Southwest Stakes, but those who want a horse on the improve that is likely to stay to bet on should not dismiss him lightly.